Having only been blogging for two months, imagine my excitement when I found out I was nominated for a Liebster Award!
A Liebster Award is an award that only exists on the internet; and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The first award was given way back in 2011 (Global Aussie).
‘Liebster’ is a German word meaning ‘sweetest’, ‘kindest’ or ‘lovely’. The Liebster Award is a great way to recognise bloggers for the hard work they put in – and it’s a great motivation to carry on doing what you’re doing when you’re the lucky one who’s been nominated!
So who nominated me?
I was in touch with the lovely Allison of Seeking Neverland, regarding her Wanderlust Expert section on her weekly newsletter.
I was really surprised when she then messaged me back to say she wanted to nominate me for the Liebster Award because she loved the look of my blog. It was so nice to hear considering how beautiful her blog is (you need to check out her pictures!).
Thanks so much for the nomination Allison, now to answer your questions…
Questions from Allison
- Where was the first place you travelled to, and what did it teach you?
The first place I travelled to was Crete, Greece when I was one. I can’t say if it taught me anything because to be honest, I don’t remember anything about it!
The trip that really inspired me to travel more was when I visited Gothenburg in Sweden. I was 14 and we were only there for three days, so it was a flying visit. I absolutely fell in love with the city, and it inspired me to start learning Swedish.
It was also the first city break I’d been on outside the UK, and it made me want to explore more cities – now, I try and do as many city breaks as I possibly can!
- What kind of traveller are you? City, Mountains, or Beach?
City, for sure! I get bored quite easily, so I like to make sure that wherever I visit, there’s lots of things to do.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind lazing around on a beach every once in a while, but after a day I’m getting restless! Whereas being in a city, you’ve got lots of sightseeing to do, as well as checking out all of the shops and bars…!
- Currently, what place is #1 on your bucket list?
Kiev, the Ukraine! I’ve wanted to go for SO many years, it’s just a case of finding someone who wants to go with me!
To be able to take a daytrip to Chernobyl and find out more about the tragic events that happened in Pripyat would be so interesting. I hope to visit one day soon.
- What is the most daredevil’ish thing you have done while traveling?
I’m going to sound really boring, but I’m not a daredevil at all!
I did however, get fined in Krakow for jaywalking if that counts…?! Erm, I will try and think of something more interesting to put here!
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Without a doubt, Copenhagen. I visit every few months, even if it’s just for the day so I can go shopping! I love the place – the people are lovely, the shops are amazing, and they have some of the best bars I’ve been to.
You know when you visit a city and it feels like home? That’s how I feel every time I visit Copenhagen.
- What is your biggest challenge right now as a blogger?
Right now, I think it’s growing my followers – I love writing, and I want my blog to be read by as many people as possible, and hopefully even inspire them to travel to the places I’ve been!
I’m a bit worried that further down the line I might run out of things to write about, but I’ll just have to deal with that if and when I get to it.
- Blogging comes with wearing many different hats, how do you manage your time?
Like lots of bloggers, I have a full time job, so I fit blogging around that. My intentions are to try and write a minimum of one blog article at the week (usually on the weekend), and ensure that I have a batch that are scheduled and ready to post on week’s that I’m really busy.
Blogging is so time-consuming, and I could easily be working on it 9-5.30pm everyday if I didn’t have a job!
Right now, my focus is on creating content so that I do have that stockpile of articles to fall back on. On weeks where I have extra time, I like to focus on trying to engage with other bloggers: I’m a member of the Female Travel Bloggers group on Facebook, which is great in terms of support from other bloggers, and providing opportunities to write guest posts and grow your social media following.
I just wish that I had extra time to set aside to networking, as when I don’t have much time, that’s the part that I neglect!
- Do you prefer to travel alone or with a companion?
I’ve never travelled alone, so I’d have to say with a friend. I’m fine with my own company, but I feel like when it comes to travelling, I’d like to be with someone so that we can share the experience.
With so many solo travellers however, it must be amazing – and who knows, maybe I’ll try it sometime.
- Where are you headed to next?
Miami in June and I can’t wait!
What do you miss most when you are on the road?
My cat! When I’m on holiday, I text my mum all the time, and I always post photos on Facebook so I’m always in touch with her.
But I do miss my cat… she’s just so cute!
- Do you have a favourite travel quote? If so, what is it?
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list” – Susan Sontag.
The top places I wanted to visit when I was growing up were Russia, Scandinavia, New York and Serbia. Now I’ve been to all of those places (and want to go back), there are other places I want to see… the Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan…
Once I’ve visited them, there will be other places that I’ll be desperate to go to! You can never visit too many countries.
Additional Liebster nomination requirements
My favourite blogger
There are lots of bloggers I love – both for travel and fashion. However, one of my favourite blogs has to be 5 inch and up for the best photographs of luxury fashion (and a bit of travel thrown in too!).
Reading Sandra’s blog makes me wish I had a never-ending supply of money so I could buy all of the beautiful clothes she showcases on her blog (and travel around Scandinavia, showing it all off!)
10 random facts about myself
- My dream is to move to Copenhagen (and I will!)
- I am a MASSIVE Eurovision fan
- I started learning ballet at 18 – one of my proudest moments was performing Swan Lake on stage in a tutu
- I had a crazy Russian stalker on a boat trip from St Petersburg to Helsinki (bit scary!)
- I once karate chopped a gypsy – well, she deserved it – she was trying to steal my stuff when I was on holiday in Bratislava!
- I love cake a bit too much…
- I FINALLY bought myself a raspberry Miu Miu Vitello Lux bag – I visited it almost every week in Selfridges when I was at University… and I bought it in Milan, which makes it all the more sweeter!
- My favourite cocktail is a Polish Martini (they taste even better in Poland!)
- Totes eyeing up a pair of YSL metallic pink tributes… ooh, and a Moschino couture dress too!
- I can confirm that one day, I WILL eat a kiev in Kiev (it’s at the top of my bucket list!)
Thanks again to Allison for nominating me for a Liebster Award, I had so much fun answering the questions.
Now it’s my turn to return the favour, and recognise the hard work of other brilliant bloggers!
Justine at The Iridescent Wings
Bilyana at Owl Over the World
Tamsin at Life Begins With Travel
Ha at Expatolife
Questions for my nominees…
- Have you ever travelled anywhere you were disappointed by? Why?
- If you could only visit one more country, where would it be?
- Do you prefer to travel by plane, train or bus?
- Which city do you think has the best fashion?
- Hotels v hostels: which team are you on?
- If you were to write a book about travel, what would you call it?
- Are there any downsides to travelling?
- You’ve got a free one-way ticket to anywhere in the world: where would you pick?
- Any nightmare stories you can share whilst travelling?
- What are your blogging dreams for 2017?
- Where are you heading to next?
You can read the official rules on the Liebster awards here.